[Cryptech Tech] Alpha power consumption

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Mar 23 14:59:39 UTC 2018

Hi,

has anyone calculated or measured power consumption for some value of
high load on the Alpha? I expect that HDL is the major factor.

The U1 LMZ13608 18V->5V "intermediate" DC/DC converter is rated at 8A/40W,
but I don't know if the copper mass it connects to actually allows for
full load, and since there is only passive cooling on the board, I don't
expect power consumption to be near that upper limit - but what is it?

The secondary DC/DC converters (U14 1V8, U15 3V3, U16 1V0) are rated
at 4A each, but I guess they also allow significant margin.

//Peter