[Cryptech Tech] Where can be found the lastest version of the CSPRNG designed for the novena ?

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Tue Jan 12 09:03:34 UTC 2016

Welcome to the Cryptech project!

★ STMAN ★ wrote:
> Hi everybody !
>
> I need to get the lastest version of the CSPRNG you have developped
> these two last years for the Novena, in order to integrate it into
> another Free and Open project I am working on
>
> I order to finalize this development, it now time for me to
> integrate a trustable PRNG into the design of the processor itself,
> in order to secure a few things. Could the lead developper in charge
> of the CSPRNG here could get in touch with me in order to feed me
> with the latest source code (VHDL) AND documentation AND schematics,
> plus the licensing conditions (GPL I guess ?) ?

I'm the lead developer of the TRNG and will gladly answer any questions
you have. Let me give a short description first and then answer your
current question.

The Cryptech TRNG is a hybrid RNG with two separate entropy sources that
feeds a digital chain implemented in the FPGA. The main entropy source
is based on avalanche noise and is designed by Fredrik Thulin and
Benedict Stockebrand. Schematics for this entropy source is available here:

http://wiki.cryptech.is/browser/doc/design/Novena-entropy-board

The second entropy source is implemented in the FPGA and is based on
jitter between multiple free running digital oscillators. The source is
designed by Bernd Paysan and me. This entropy source must be qualified
for the given FPGA family you want to use and the layout should
preferably be locked down to ensure similar behavior between separate
builds. The source has been tested in both Altera and Xilinx devices.
The source for it is available here:

http://wiki.cryptech.is/browser/core/rng/rosc_entropy

The PRNG part of the generator comprises of an entropy source mixer
implemented using SHA-512 and a CSPRNG implemented using the stream
cipher ChaCha. There are also some fifos etc. All cores needed to
implement the TRNG are available here:

http://wiki.cryptech.is/wiki/GitRepositories

The top level for the TRNG is here:
http://wiki.cryptech.is/browser/core/rng/trng

As you can see from the source code, we use Verilog (2001-ish) as RTL
language. All our code is licensed under a 3-clause BSD license.
Schematics, documentation are licensed under Creative Commons.

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se