[Cryptech Tech] Alpha keystore flash always writeable

Fredrik Thulin fredrik at thulin.net
Thu Feb 4 08:31:42 UTC 2016

On Thursday, February 04, 2016 09:09:02 AM Peter Stuge wrote:
> Fredrik Thulin wrote:
> > The keystore memory (flash) connected to the ARM has a write-enabled
> > pin. I will add a zero-ohm resistor to that net, but it will be always
> > write-enabled.
>
> A 100k resistor to VCC is a good plan, but why not *also* add a
> jumper to GND? I guess both symbol and footprint are available.

I know it sounds silly considering the very minor work of adding a jumper, but
will it be used on the Alpha? Can it wait until the next board? Will the Alpha
be less useful if we don't add the jumper?

> Also note that SPI flash /WP signals do not always control write
> protect directly, but only provide one input to the write protect
> logic, with a software-settable bit being another part of the actual
> write protect state.

Another good reason to question the value of a jumper there... until we know
what we are trying to defend against.

> > Alpha train
>
> Is there a production schedule now? Date for first prototype assembly?
> Parts in stock? Lead times?

No, besides ASAP.