[Cryptech Tech] Alpha keystore flash always writeable

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Feb 4 08:43:00 UTC 2016

Fredrik Thulin wrote:
> will it be used on the Alpha?

Maybe, but only if it exists.

> Can it wait until the next board?

Of course it can.

> Will the Alpha be less useful if we don't add the jumper?

I think so. It's one less thing it can do.

> > Also note that SPI flash /WP signals do not always control write
> > protect directly, but only provide one input to the write protect
> > logic, with a software-settable bit being another part of the actual
> > write protect state.
>
> Another good reason to question the value of a jumper there...
> until we know what we are trying to defend against.

Software can be changed to do the right thing also after hardware has
been manufactured, that's not as easy with the hardware itself.

> > > Alpha train
> >
> > Is there a production schedule now? Date for first prototype assembly?
> > Parts in stock? Lead times?
>
> No, besides ASAP.

If noone has put planned production in parallel with development and
nothing is in stock then parts may well need 4-6-8 weeks to arrive
and who knows how long lead time the assembly house has?

//Peter