[Cryptech Tech] Updated novena noise board

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue Jun 2 18:08:56 UTC 2015

Jacob wrote:
> Reference Designator - the U1, C10 etc.
>
> Almost all boards have them. They are used by Assembly House internal
> management: QA, Assemblers etc. They are also used by the electronic
> designers when checking board operation and debugging in the lab -
> correlating schematic points to the physical board for probing.

None of which actually applies to this board.

> They are also used in QA and field support - when a customer reports
> that U1 starts to smoke

Unlike the hardware designs that most hardware developers may be used
to in their day-to-day work this is not a proprietary project, but
design documentation is or should be readily available. I'd suggest
to include a printed schematic along with any boards that are given
away.

> I have never heard that there is an aesthetic issue with Ref Des marking,

There can certainly be. There are lots of good reasons to leave them
out, in fact leave the entire silkscreen layer out, and especially on
a small board like this the refdeses make close to no difference.

> but this maybe because having Ref Des on board is so ingrained into
> the electronic designers and layout engineers psyche.

You are implicitly saying that Fredrik is neither an electronic
designer nor a layout engineer, which is not accurate and not cool.

Remember that the experience of each person, as valuable as it is
within the team, is never the single truth. Thanks.

> hand soldering the shield after the reflow cycle.

Yes, I agree.

> Vendors usually clear silk off pads, but sometimes they miss. You
> need to know your board fab house and his attention to details.

In any case they will always be happier when they have to do less
cleanup. :)

//Peter