[Cryptech Tech] arm

Rob Austein sra at hactrn.net
Mon Jan 12 19:37:31 UTC 2015

At Sun, 11 Jan 2015 22:08:23 +0300, Basil Dolmatov wrote:

> Moreover, handling of bulk data implies, that the source of these
> data is reliable enough to maintain security chains without any weak
> points in it.

No, that's the point of the entire discussion we had about
"application aware signing" (formerly known as "deep content
inspection"): the main reason for doing the hash inside the secure
perimeter is not performance, it's so that the code inside the secure
perimeter can inspect every bit of what is to be hashed and signed.

> Otherwise we are repeating the same marketing error "private key is
> never leaves security device, so it cannot be stolen", but it will
> sign _any_ data, which will be supplied for signing (including bank
> transfer of all my funds to arbitrary account ;) )

Precisely the motivation for deep content inspection.