[Cryptech Tech] arm

Bernd Paysan bernd at net2o.de
Mon Jan 12 22:33:28 UTC 2015

Am Montag, 12. Januar 2015, 14:37:31 schrieb Rob Austein:
> At Sun, 11 Jan 2015 22:08:23 +0300, Basil Dolmatov wrote:
> > Moreover, handling of bulk data implies, that the source of these
> > data is reliable enough to maintain security chains without any weak
> > points in it.
>
> No, that's the point of the entire discussion we had about
> "application aware signing" (formerly known as "deep content
> inspection"): the main reason for doing the hash inside the secure
> perimeter is not performance, it's so that the code inside the secure
> perimeter can inspect every bit of what is to be hashed and signed.

For me, it's still not clear what's the attack vector is here that is
prevented.  Let's say I do the hash outside, transfer the hash to the HSM, and
get a signature, what can I do by manipulating the hash?  I can get an invalid
signature.  That's all.

If I, on the other hand, manipulate the hashed plaintext, I get a correct
signature of something that has been manipulated.  That's bad.  However, even
when I do the hashing on the HSM, I still can manipulate the plaintext outside
the HSM boundary.

The only thing where hashing on the HSM makes sense is for data which the HSM
itself controls and creates alone, without exporting it.  An application for
that could be signed timestamps, where the (GPS-synchronized) RTC inside the
HSM is source for the timestamps.

--
Bernd Paysan
http://bernd-paysan.de/