[Cryptech Tech] Dieharder results for Cryptech RNG data

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Sat Jan 3 19:04:24 UTC 2015

Benedikt Stockebrand wrote:
>>> - What options did you run dieharder with exactly?
>> -a -g 201
>
> -Y 1 makes dieharder continue with more test data if it found the
> results of a test inconclusive.  I consider this much more sensible
> to use than having to guess or interpret results or whatever you want
> to call it ourselves.
>
> -k 2 uses a more precise KS test; while the man page states that it
> is more resource intensive, I don't recall this to show any sign of
> performance degradation on todays machines.
>
> -s 1 makes dieharder start from the beginning of the test data with
> every individual test; while this isn't strictly necessary (and at
> least in theory opens some additional statistical issues) I found it
> fairly helpful to use.

So what is the suggested command line?

> dieharder -Y 1 -k2 -s 1 -g 201 -f <filename_raw.bin>

Or should "-a" also be included.

where filename_raw.bin contains GBytes of data. It would be good if we
in the writeup about testing includes info about how much data is needed
for different tests.

I think FredrikT started to write something about at least entropy
sources and tests.

Thanks for the help, looking forward to see you again.

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se