[Cryptech Tech] Doc, Markdown, and Wiki

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Mon Oct 27 20:11:42 UTC 2014

Rob Austein wrote:
> So I've noticed that all of the existing git.cryptech.is
> repositories have README.md files, in the style of github.  That's
> harmless, and certainly better than no doc at all.  Questions are:
>
> 1) Is this all we want for doc of these repositories, or do we need
> something more?

No, we want and SHOULD provide much more. I'm used to open projects
having a README file that gives an intro. But it does not replace all
documentation needed. The cores for example needs documentation that
describes functionality, architecure, ABI (register map and what the
registers do including side effects), implementation aspects etc.

I think Markdoen is good format for the README-file, but the other docs
should be in a suitable source format (ODT for example) and a PDF or
similar as a generated result for easy reading.

> 2) If this is the real doc, or at least part of the real doc, do we
> want a hack which will extract content from the README.md files and
> drop it into the Wiki?

It is part of the real doc. But extracting to the Wiki is a good idea.

> If this is of interest, I can hack together the necessary script and
> set it running under cron (or maybe hanging off of a git hook, but
> I'm reluctant to get too clever with git hooks with tasks that could
> be handled well enough by a cron job).

Not sure we need to go as far as doing it with a cron job, but instead
run it whenwever we have had lots of updates. But otherwise I'm very in
favour of doing this, great idea.

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se