[Cryptech Tech] Doc, Markdown, and Wiki

Rob Austein sra at hactrn.net
Mon Oct 27 17:54:53 UTC 2014

So I've noticed that all of the existing git.cryptech.is repositories
have README.md files, in the style of github.  That's harmless, and
certainly better than no doc at all.  Questions are:

1) Is this all we want for doc of these repositories, or do we need
   something more?

2) If this is the real doc, or at least part of the real doc, do we
   want a hack which will extract content from the README.md files and
   drop it into the Wiki?

(2) is not hard.  I already have a script (not yet running under cron,
need to do something about that) which crawls our git repository space
looking for repositories and listing them in the Wiki (haven't run it
for a while, which is why the list in the Wiki is stake).  Translating
Markdown into something we can drop into the Wiki is trivial: so long
as the resulting Wiki pages are maintained only by the script, it's
one call into the markdown2 Python library and a couple of lines of
Wiki boilerplate to frame it.

If this is of interest, I can hack together the necessary script and
set it running under cron (or maybe hanging off of a git hook, but I'm
reluctant to get too clever with git hooks with tasks that could be
handled well enough by a cron job).