[Cryptech Tech] coretest_hashes now with much higher performance

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Fri May 9 13:31:16 UTC 2014

Randy Bush wrote:
> does anyone configure anything other than 8/1/N?

Very rarely other than 8 data bits. I've seen some SCADA and alarm
systems that use 7 bits. Two stop bits are imho pretty (fairly) common.

To be honest, I have not tested those features that much. The bit rate
though is very useful now when i try to do message hasing with huge
messages. Try as in, I have some debugging to do. ;-)

> ( do you wear a steampunk outfit when creating arcane things such as
> uarts?  :)

Good idea. I do play some good, oldsschool industrial and EBM music.
Need more Klaxons!

> fwiw, i have arranged (for real) to borrow a vt100 for the
> ietf/toronto terminal room, so the damned terminal room has an actual
> terminal.  i had planned to hook it up to a pi with a guest account
> and net access. i could instead kludge it up to my terasic cyclone.
> is there something we can demo to the curious to promote cryptech?

The big issue is being able to send and receive coretest commands. One
could probably build a variant of the RNG when it starts working to have
it automatically generate a continiuos stream of data on a serial port.
Then you could hook it up to a terminal and get nice, randomness
directly. Would that be useful?

But we are not there yet. Right now the best thing is probably being
able to do hashing of blocks using hash_tester.py.

I think the question is important though. I suggest that we try and come
up with some Dog & Pony shows that are easy to start up and able to
demostrate what we do.

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se