[Cryptech Tech] Novena coretest

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Thu Aug 28 15:51:40 UTC 2014

Paul Selkirk wrote:
> If you're on the commits mailing list, you may have noticed that I
> just checked in the I2C version of Joachim's coretest, for the
> Novena.

Cool!

> There are two new git repos (why does each core have its own repo?):
> - coretest/core/i2c is the I2C slave - coretest/core/novena is the
> top-level verilog module. It also contains a script to configure the
> FPGA, and a test program (in both C and Python, because you may
> prefer one over the other).

(The core are separate repos because they are separate projects in
itself and you should be able to checkout, track a single core if you
wish). IMHO it is very commmon in git-land to have more repos than for
example SVN. I prefer this and see no big problems.)

> Joachim (or anyone else with Verilog experience): please check over
> the Verilog and make sure I haven't done anything really stupid or
> dangerous.

I'll look at the code and test it. I will also let Quartus loose on the
code since it seems to find different problems than ISE.

> I also didn't write any testbench/simulator code for the i2c module,
> although it looks relatively straightforward.

Testbenches are good and imho should be in all cores unless it really is
very hard. The oscillator based entropy source for example really kills
the simulator due to combinational loops.

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se