[Cryptech Tech] Novena coretest

Paul Selkirk paul at psgd.org
Thu Aug 28 14:52:24 UTC 2014

If you're on the commits mailing list, you may have noticed that I
just checked in the I2C version of Joachim's coretest, for the Novena.

There are two new git repos (why does each core have its own repo?):
- coretest/core/i2c is the I2C slave
- coretest/core/novena is the top-level verilog module. It also
  contains a script to configure the FPGA, and a test program (in both
  C and Python, because you may prefer one over the other).

Joachim (or anyone else with Verilog experience): please check over
the Verilog and make sure I haven't done anything really stupid or
dangerous.

Note that I don't do anything with the reset input. The Novena has two
buttons, labeled "reset" and "user" (and another on the bottom, also
labeled "user"), but it's not clear if and how they can be attached to
FPGA input pins.

I also didn't write any testbench/simulator code for the i2c module,
although it looks relatively straightforward.

To build with the Xilinx command-line tools on Linux, run 'make' in
coretest/core/novena/synth. (Why "synth"? That's how it's set up in
the novena-ws2312b-fpga project, from which I stole the i2c slave code.)

You can also use the Xilinx ISE Project Navigator to build, but it
will require some step-by-step instructions, similar to the
CoretestHashesC5G wiki page. (Yes, I should write it up for the wiki.)

				paul