[Cryptech Tech] Avalanche noise test boards

Benedikt Stockebrand bs at stepladder-it.com
Sat Aug 23 11:03:42 UTC 2014

Hi Fredrik and list,

Fredrik Thulin <fredrik at thulin.net> writes:

> [onerng]
> There's also some interesting documentation on the site - like test output
> showing that they too "fail" to get a good chi square number from 'ent' with
> just raw avalanche noise data (here:
> http://moonbaseotago.com/onerng/theory.html).

they don't attempt to provide direct random numbers, but some sort of
noise only.  This shouldn't really pass ent, or pretty much any other
serious tests.

> I'm currently playing around with ways to avoid correlation in my output (if
> I've understood it correctly, that is what the chi square test picks up),
> although perhaps that is really a task for the mixer in the Cryptech.

If you leave that entirely to the mixer, then it becomes significantly
more difficult to audit.  And it also makes the design rely more on the
correctness of the mixer, too.

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--
Benedikt Stockebrand,                   Stepladder IT Training+Consulting
Dipl.-Inform.                           http://www.stepladder-it.com/

          Business Grade IPv6 --- Consulting, Training, Projects

BIVBlog---Benedikt's IT Video Blog: http://www.stepladder-it.com/bivblog/