[Cryptech Tech] Avalanche noise test boards

Fredrik Thulin fredrik at thulin.net
Tue Aug 19 10:24:24 UTC 2014

On Tuesday, August 19, 2014 07:50:16 AM Peter Gutmann wrote:
> Just a quick note since people are talking about hardware RNG sources, has
> anyone considered using the OneRNG design, http://onerng.info/?  I've got
> one here, played with it a bit but support under Windows is still a work in
> progress, but under Linux it should work fine.

Hadn't seen that one - thanks for the link. I think it is good to see there
are people working on other sources than avalanche noise.

There's also some interesting documentation on the site - like test output
showing that they too "fail" to get a good chi square number from 'ent' with
just raw avalanche noise data (here:
http://moonbaseotago.com/onerng/theory.html).

I'm currently playing around with ways to avoid correlation in my output (if
I've understood it correctly, that is what the chi square test picks up),
although perhaps that is really a task for the mixer in the Cryptech.