[Cryptech Core] info about commons conservancy

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Sep 20 15:17:31 UTC 2018

Leif Johansson wrote:
> > I'd like to already now propose the option to start a gGmbH in Germany.
> >
> > gGmbH is short for "gemeinnützige Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung" -
> > ie. a group of people working in the public interest.
..

> 1. making the personal views of staff on electronic voting a selection
> criteria for picking an organizational home seems to be a monumentally
> silly thing to do

I don't think it's silly at all.

I should perhaps have reiterated that electronic voting systems is
something that person has worked to achieve, and mentions as an
achievement in their bio on the CC web page.

That work history makes it clear to me that they have an attitude
towards - or understanding of - digital security at odds with that
of the CrypTech project.

> 2. who do you think would be the coorporate officers in this scenario
> and how do you excert control over them?

Sorry, which scenario do you mean?

It's not about legal control of the CrypTech project.

In the Commons Conservancy case it's about avoiding working with the
wrong people in order to maintain high credibility.

It's "bad optics" to hang with the wrong crowd because context matters.

> 3. what stops your gGmbH board from suddently starting to believe
> in aliens, blockchain and electronic voting on day 2?

I would want a gGmbH board to consist of people from the core group,
who AFAIK all have a proven track a record of aligned work.

Maybe I am mistaken and most of the core group actually doesn't mind
associating the project with someone who worked on electronic voting
systems.

Then by all means go ahead with the Commons Conservancy.

//Peter