[Cryptech Core] info about commons conservancy

Leif Johansson leifj at sunet.se
Thu Sep 20 13:41:35 UTC 2018

On 2018-09-20 14:54, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Stephen Farrell wrote:
>> As I said above we plan to discuss this and hopefully
>> make a decision at the f2f meeting
>
> I'd like to already now propose the option to start a gGmbH in Germany.
>
> gGmbH is short for "gemeinnützige Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung" -
> ie. a group of people working in the public interest.
>
> Founding a regular GmbH (which I *don't* propose, but I expect to be
> procedurally similar) merely requires shareholders to meet and sign
> the shareholder agreement before a German notary.
>
> That shareholder agreement establishes what's possible and not, among
> other things if and how shares can be transfered.
>
> Anyone can be a shareholder and anyone can be an executive officer,
> I have no preference about who within the core group has what role(s),
> as long as the group continues to work the way it has so far.
>

> The killer feature of a gGmbH is that CrypTech remains independent,
> enabling the project to focus on its goals, without ties to
> organizations and individuals with a possibly different focus.
>
> Overhead costs are probably on the order of 2k EUR per year, so not
> very significant, but I still want to speak with an accountant about that.
>

> It is hopefully obvious to everyone how utterly bad it makes both you
> and the project as a whole look, if you in fact support moving the legal
> home of this security-related project to an organization with staff in
> favor of electronic voting systems.
>
> That goes directly against the values of both open source and security,
> and quite frankly disqualify CrypTech outright in its mission. That would
> be a really unneccessary mistake.

Allright...

1. making the personal views of staff on electronic voting a selection
criteria for picking an organizational home seems to be a monumentally
silly thing to do

2. who do you think would be the coorporate officers in this scenario
and how do you excert control over them?

3. what stops your gGmbH board from suddently starting to believe
in aliens, blockchain and electronic voting on day 2?

	Cheers Leif