[Cryptech Core] Berlin slides on software and packaging

Fredrik Thulin fredrik at thulin.net
Thu Jul 14 10:13:52 UTC 2016

On torsdag 14 juli 2016 kl. 12:09:32 CEST Rob Austein wrote:
> At Thu, 14 Jul 2016 12:01:50 +0200, Fredrik Thulin wrote:
> > There's an HTTP URL on the Installing from APT slide, used to fetch the
> > APT
> > key, and there is no obvious validation of what was fetched there. Ewww.
>
> Oops, that one should be HTTPS.  The other APT URLs must be HTTP,
> sadly, APT itself gets very grumpy if one attempts to use HTTPS.

I think you just need to install apt-transport-https first - at least on
Ubuntu.

> As for validating the key...sure, we can talk people through doing
> that, but either it's obvious or it's voodoo, depending on the user.

I didn't mean to insist on validation, especially not on slides, but no
validation && HTTP was too bad for my taste =).

> > I didn't see anything about the 921600 woes in there, might be worth
> > mentioning.
>
> What 921600 woes? :)
>
> Seriously, that was part of the point of cryptech_miniterm.  But I
> guess I can add a note warning that if one is going to use something
> else that something else had better support 921600 baud.

Linus Debian Jessie had too old python-serial for that cryptech_miniterm thing
to work. Haven't tried it myself - I'm happy enough with picocom.