[Cryptech Core] Alpha scedule

Fredrik Thulin fredrik at thulin.net
Mon Apr 18 07:38:49 UTC 2016

On Saturday, April 16, 2016 11:12:08 AM Peter Stuge wrote:
> Fredrik Thulin wrote:
> > We sent the final PCB layout to Propoint yesterday.
>
> Great! What does it look like, or what was changed after review?

Attaching the gerbers. Will put it in a repo or on the wiki when I have the
time to do it in a structured way.

We had a DFM review done that highlighted several things to fix - clearances
etc.

We also had Bitsim do another round of review, which resulted in adjusted
placements for some bypass capacitors for one of the FTDI chips, and some
trace widths and through hole diameter adjustments.

> For Stockholm, this design is not trivial and things are missed in
> the first hardware revisions all the time.
>
> I guess Propoint will not do bringup, testing and rework?

No, that would be us...

> I suggest a different mission statement: one physical board has all
> major components (power supplies, clocks, memories, CPUs and FPGA)
> operational, and an errata is up on the wiki.
>
> A large part of bringup is writing various test software. Bonus to
> have reworked all of the boards, if any rework is neccessary.

Thanks, I think we're leaning towards just bringing up the hardware together
in Stockholm, and then shipping boards to Rob and Paul for software
engineering, but I might have misunderstood that.

> Finalized application software is just not a realistic expectation
> right after assembly.
>

> Fredrik - do you have/know an electronics lab? If it helps I'm happy
> to ask a friend if he would let Cryptech visit his place.

We have one set of all the things we expect to need for the bring up (scope,
soldering irons  etc.) but if we run into problems it would surely be useful
to have access to a place with the "next level" of gear. We don't have high
magnification optics for example.

If your friend has more than be basic stuff it would be great if you could
check if we can visit him/her if we need it.