[Cryptech Core] Notes from Meeting with Ericsson 2014-05-21

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Fri May 23 07:57:21 UTC 2014

I had a good meeting with Mats Näslund and a lot of other people at
Ericsson on Wednesday. Something like 10 people on site and additional
5-10 people on call. As far as I understood most/all of them from Research.

Most time of the meeting was spent by me giving a fairly lengthy
presentiation (1+ hour) about Cryptech. Talked a bit about background
and the project (based on slides from Randy - thanks!). Then focus on
the technology with fairly low level details on random generation,
methodologies for trust in HW-designs, verification etc.

I got several good comments on entropy generation, partitioning of more
complex operations such as primality testing etc. There seemed to be a
good interest in what we are trying to achieve.

Ericsson has a Pervasive Security initiative that includes adding
cryptographically based protection (complete CIA-model) to basically all
traffic.

Mats and the others seem to find Cryptech to be aligned with what they
try to achieve with the initiative. Their use cases differs a bit from
the one we currently have as drivers. Their use cases requires more
crypto acceleration and ability to do crypto in small nodes in the
network. (If I understood them correctly).

According to Mats, Ericsson might therefor be interested in supporting
Cryptech. Either directly financially and via a partner that can provide
competence, project financing for research projects related to Cryptech etc.

One thing Ericsson can't really do is to participate actively on
maillists and provide code etc. This due to IPR policies. Again if I
understood them correctly. But getting a use case description should at
least be possible.

I (with Leif and Jakob i assume) will keep a contact with Mats and his
team and see if we can move forward to some firm and concrete support.

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se