[Cryptech Core] Tools and strategies for communication during development

Linus Nordberg linus at nordberg.se
Tue May 20 11:18:28 UTC 2014

Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote
Tue, 20 May 2014 14:04:24 +0300:

| if you have something better, i am always interested in an excuse to
| explore rather than get work done :).  but first explain its security
| and persistence properties, as those seemed to be desired.

IRC - internet relay chat. apt-get install screen irssi on your
favourite allways-on-the-internet host and run irssi in screen. Point it
at irc.oftc.net:6697 (TLS) and "/j #cryptech.is". Swap "apt-get",
"screen" and "irssi" for other cooler things as you find appropriate.

Security: You use TLS to connect to a server. You create channels
(i.e. chat rooms) as you wish. Protected with a pass phrase or based on
authorisation with the server if you wish. I would suggest we refrain
from doing this. All admins, and some, on the IRC network you're using
can read every line you're typing.

Persistence: IRC has been around since the late 80's and doesn't seem to
be dying quite yet.

Privacy: You can connect to OFTC.net over Tor. At least most of the
time.

If you feel especially crazy today, set up your own IRC server and let
us know where it lives. I suggest we don't do that, but rather pick a
network where other people can find us. OFTC.net is good for those who
prefer not doing stuff like this without some protection (i.e. Tor)
while Freenode.net, being the most popular one for free and open
software, arguably could give us more visitors.