[Cryptech Tech] USB interface

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu May 28 02:22:20 UTC 2020

Pavel Shatov wrote:
> Ideally I'd prefer Peter to provide me with a PDF with a piece of
> schematics he wants added, as he suggested earlier, so that I can just
> copy it into KiCAD project.

Attached is my proposal schematic, please review it.

For reference, the SAMD11 datasheet is (currently) here:
https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/Atmel-42363-SAM-D11_Datasheet.pdf

I also need some feedback on the power supply:

The rev03 FTDI chips are bus-powered, so when a rev03 board is connected
to a PC the PC always sees a USB device, even if the rev03 board is
not currently powered through the 18V supply.

On rev03, PCs can only try to use a heuristic with the RPC protocol to
guess if the board is running/available or not.

This proposed USB interface is self-powered, by VCCO_3V3, so when this
interface is connected to a PC the USB device comes and goes on the PC
as the 18V supply is connected and disconnected from the rev04 board.

Is that change desirable?

I hope yes, because USB is really not a static connection, but please
share your thoughts.

If the change is unacceptable then I'll add a voltage regulator and
probably level shifters in a new revision.

Thanks a lot!

//Peter