[Cryptech Tech] Seeking comments on a proposal for changes to the Cryptech RNG design.

Pavel Shatov meisterpaul1 at yandex.ru
Wed Mar 28 13:07:38 UTC 2018

22.03.2018 14:52, Joachim Strömbergson пишет:

> Aloha!

Hi, Joachim, sorry for a late reply.

> [...]
> chain comprising of three major stages:
>
> 1. A set of separate entropy sources. Currently one entropy source
>     external to the FPGA and one internal entropy source.
>
> 2. A stateful entropy mixer that generates seeds.
>
> 3. A deterministic random bit generator (DRBG)
>
> Between stage 2 and 3 there is also a FIFO capable of storing a few
> output words from the mixer. There are three reasons for the mixer:
>
>    1. Ensure that the entropy collected from the sources are mixed to
>    block bias in one source to dominate, affect the generated seed.
>
>    2. Ensure that an attack on the entropy sources at a given time does
>    not propagate to the seeds generated. This is due to the fact that
>    seeds generated does not only depend on entropy collected at a given
>    time, but also on an internal state.
>
>    3. Decouple the entropy collection and seed generation from the random
>    number generation. This allows the seed generation to continue
>    independently, updating the internal state. And when the random bit
>    generator is to be reseeded the seeds needed are ready.
>
> The last reason is both for security, but also for efficiency. The
> decoupled mixer allows us to reseed with very little affect on the
> random number generation performance. And compared to today, we probably
> want to reseed more frequently than today [1].
>
> The stateful entropy mixer consumes 32-bit words from the entropy
> sources selected in round-robin order. The mixer treats the words as
> being part of a continuous message. The words are combined into message
> blocks and hashed using SHA-512 (NIST FIPS 180-4) one block at a
> time. The output from the mixer is the updated message digest given by
> the consumed block and the previous hash state. This means that the
> output depends both on the consumed entropy words in a given block, but
> also on the digest state from all previous message blocks.
>
> The mixer message block size is 1024 bits. The internal state is 512
> bits and the output is 512-bits.
>
> The extracted 512-bit words are used in pairs to seed the DRBG. The DRBG
> is the stream cipher ChaCha with 256 bit key, 64 bit IV, 64 bit counter
> initial value and 256 bit input data block. In total 896 bits are used
> to seed the DRBG to its initial state.
>

> 3. Problem definition:
> There are two drivers for the change we want to do:
>
>    1. Decrease the FPGA resources used by the RNG.
>    2. Remove a major obstacle for running the Cryptech FPGA at 100 MHz.
>
> SHA-512 is a big core. In Xilinx Artix-7 the core requires 1575 Slices
> and 3918 registers. This is bigger than the ChaCha core that requires
> 1076 slices and 1949 registers.
>
> The SHA-512 core can be clocked at 96 MHz in Artix-7. This is just below
> a target frequency of 100 MHz. But to comfortably meet this clock, we
> would need a margin. Getting that margin would a redesign (pipelining of
> the round function) and basically halve the performance thus nullifying
> any performance gained by the increased clock speed.

I was thinking, in what place of SHA-512 exactly do timing checks fail?
I bet it's in the carry chains of 64-bit adders. One thing you can try
doing is replacing them with 32-bit adders, that take 2 clock cycles to
compute the entire 64-bit sum. I mean, suppose that one needs to
calculate s[63:0] = x[63:0] + y[63:0], then during the first cycle one does:

x_msb_dly <= x[63:32];
y_msb_dly <= y[63:32];
{carry_int, sum_lsb} <= x[31:0] + y[31:0];

and during the second cycle one does:

sum_lsb_dly[31:0] <= sum_lsb;
sum_msb <= x_msb_dly + y_msb_dly + carry_int;

The resulting sum is {sum_msb, sum_lsb_dly}. This way we may be able to
keep SHA-512 in place, because SHA-256 with 32-bit adders works fine at
100 MHz, as far as I understand. I don't know whether this change is
viable, because you definitely have a better understanding of you core's
internals. Do you have any idea how difficult it would be to pipeline
SHA-512? I agree with Rob, that we should most probably go with the
easier option. I mean, rewriting the core vs. replacing it altogether.

With best regards,
Pavel Shatov