[Cryptech Tech] Comments on Alpha board schematics

Fredrik Thulin fredrik at thulin.net
Thu Jan 28 07:47:49 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 08:15:57 PM Joachim Strömbergson wrote:
> Aloha!
>
> Joachim Strömbergson wrote:
> > Sure I'm happy to talk about it. I don't think it is a matter of
> > ambition though. It is a matter of how the TRNG works and will be
> > working in v2 and how the systen inside of the FPGA will evolve.
>
> I had a good, long walk home today and got to spend time thinking
about
> the entropy source power control. And I was wrong. At least partially.
> It should be solvable fairly easy.
>
> It should be quite feasible to tie power up signalling to the
(inverse)
> fifo full signal in the mixer output fifo. This fifo can store n seeds
> needed by the CSPRNG to do n/2 reseeds. If the fifo is full we know
that
> unless reseeding happens too often, we should have enough time to
power
> up the entropy source, wait for it to warm up, assess its noise
quality
> and generate new seeds.

Clever thinking, that would be the last 1% of complexity ;).

Let me see if I understand you right - you are saying that after HSM
boot up, we seed the PRNG *and* store enough entropy for the next
reseed? The next reseed is then non-blocking because the entropy is
already available.

Right after the next reseed has happened we start the entropy sources
again, do all the tests, and again buffer enough entropy for the next
reseed so that it too will be non-blocking?