[Cryptech Tech] design software

Pavel Shatov meisterpaul1 at yandex.ru
Mon Jan 18 07:50:42 UTC 2016

On 18.01.2016 0:34, Bernd Paysan wrote:
> Am Montag, 18. Januar 2016, 00:26:24 schrieb Pavel Shatov:
>> All design tools allow you to generate Gerbers from their internal
>> formats. So regardless of whether you use free open source design
>> software or proprietary closed source design software, you will export
>> Gerbers in the end, and they are easy to audit.
>
> Any proper audit (at least any audit I would do) would include an LVS check to
> verify that the gerber data indeed matches the schematics.  Gerber is only the
> layout.  Both schematic and layout need to be available for a free tool that
> can do things like LVS.

As far as I know, LVS checks whether Gerbers match the actual netlist.

I see, that there're two variants:

1) The board was done using some open source software, so the board
source in some open format. LVS tool can directly read the board file
and extract the netlist automatically.

2) The board was done using some proprietary design software, so the
board source is a binary blob in some closed format. One can still
export the netlist, and LVS tool can read the exported netlist and
compare it to Gerbers.

Is the second variant acceptable?

> Of course everyone who wants to create a derived version also would like to
> have access to the actual editable data (Gerber isn't).

Yes, that's exactly what we're worried about.

--
With best regards,
Pavel Shatov