[Cryptech Tech] design software

Pavel Shatov meisterpaul1 at yandex.ru
Sun Jan 17 21:26:24 UTC 2016

On 17.01.2016 18:33, Peter Stuge wrote:

> I think you need to ask what the design data should accomplish.
>
> The only reason to use a proprietary data format at this stage would
> IMO be that the project wants to create a reference design that can
> be used as-is by an ODM/OEM who wants to start selling a product.
>
> Unless someone is banging down the door wanting to donate lots of
> money if they can only get a design to spin I don't think it is
> time+money well spent, because proprietary design data is generally
> useless, both for the project itself and for the community at large.

First of all, let's not forget, that you don't send binary blobs to a
factory, you send your board in Gerber format, which is the de facto
industry standard. It is open
(https://www.ucamco.com/en/guest/downloads), and there are many free
open source Gerber viewers. There are even on-line viewers, such as, for
example:

http://www.gerber-viewer.com/
http://mayhewlabs.com/3dpcb

Btw, as far as I remember, we used one of them to help review Fredrik's
dev-bridge board.

All design tools allow you to generate Gerbers from their internal
formats. So regardless of whether you use free open source design
software or proprietary closed source design software, you will export
Gerbers in the end, and they are easy to audit. In that sense regardless
of what software we use, we'll generate a set of Gerbers, that everyone
will be able to just use "as-is" to produce boards.

The problem is that in case someone wants to produce a modified version
of our design, he will have to edit board source first, which can be in
some proprietary format.

>> a pro design house may not use eagle anyway.
>
> That's useless speculation, you name neither contractor nor their tool.
>
> There are (of course!) excellent contractors out there using EAGLE.

Could you please name a few?

> But again, the design software isn't important, the design data is.

I'm sorry, I can't agree with that.

Suppose, that I need to do break-out for 484-pin BGA package. I know,
that Allegro (closed-source proprietary software) allows me to do this
with just one click of a mouse. I don't see such feature in EAGLE, KiCAD
or gEDA (please correct me, if I'm wrong). Do I have to click my mouse
484 times to add 484 dog bones? Well, I can copy and paste, but that's
still around 100 clicks. For me personally two orders of magnitude
increase in productivity is important.

--
With best regards,
Pavel Shatov