[Cryptech Tech] why not deterministic ecdsa?

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Mon Sep 7 08:27:46 UTC 2015

Leif Johansson <leifj at sunet.se> writes:

>> 3) Generality and separation of components (someone who uses your
>> ecdsa might not necessarily trust your rng).
>
> afaiu this is the usual argument for 6979 but haven't we failed if folks
> don't trust our rng?

Not necessarily.  Maybe they trust cryptech to protect private keys and
perform ecdsa signing, but wants to generate keys elsewhere.

Trusting a rng is different from trusting a device carrying out
verifiable computations.  I wouldn't trust a rng without proof or at
least a convincing argument that quantify the amount of entropy it can
generate.

/Simon