[Cryptech Tech] Alpha board main CPU change

Jacob jacob at edamaker.com
Thu May 28 21:20:22 UTC 2015

> We've just finished two days of core team face to face meetings in Stockholm.
> During these days, we unanimously decided to change the design for the
> upcoming Alpha from using an ARM A9 to an ARM M4.

> (briefly, the plan is to use an STM32F4429 ARM Cortex M4 CPU running at 180
> MHz. 128 MB of SDRAM, using the FMC interface to connect to the FPGA instead
> of the Freescale EIM interface. As I understand it, the FMC interface will be
> at least as fast as we were going to push the EIM).

Since some expressed a desire in the past to switch over to an Altera
FPGA (I was also told that Altera has a better design flow), and since
the time invested in making the EIM I/F work is now moot, will it make
sense to also replace the Xilinx with Altera now (provided that Pavel
feels equally good with both) ?

Jacob