[Cryptech Tech] Alpha board main CPU change

Fredrik Thulin fredrik at thulin.net
Thu May 28 20:48:44 UTC 2015

Hi all

We've just finished two days of core team face to face meetings in Stockholm.
During these days, we unanimously decided to change the design for the
upcoming Alpha from using an ARM A9 to an ARM M4.

The reasoning is that we want to reduce complexity of the Alpha board for both
economical and technical reasons. Yes, we know a number of people on this list
suggested going with an M4 instead of an A9 months ago =).

The technical reasons I would summarize as we have now gained confidence that
an A9 would be overkill, we wouldn't really save that much by copying the A9
design from the Novena, and shaving off unnecessary complexity will speed up
design, assembly and perhaps most important of all for our project - allow for
more review.

So... those interested might want to download the latest and greatest file
from https://wiki.cryptech.is/browser/doc/design/Alpha_board_drawing.pdf

(briefly, the plan is to use an STM32F4429 ARM Cortex M4 CPU running at 180
MHz. 128 MB of SDRAM, using the FMC interface to connect to the FPGA instead
of the Freescale EIM interface. As I understand it, the FMC interface will be
at least as fast as we were going to push the EIM).