[Cryptech Tech] Progress on randomness testing, and upcoming TROOPERS conference

Benedikt Stockebrand bs at stepladder-it.com
Sun Mar 1 22:40:45 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

I didn't get quite as far with the randomness test framework this
weekend, but aside from documenting its internal workings I've got
something I consider good enough to let others take a look at.  It's
about as ugly as C++ can get, but it gives me a reasonably convenient
interface to binary random data, plus the necessary foundation to come
up with simple ways to implement the tests I have in mind.

If you want to take a look I suggest you start with
html/md_BitSequence_OVERVIEW.html.  (And yes, since I didn't know if you
are using Doxygen I intentionally put the html directory into the
tarball.)

Next step is a way to create parameterized tests that can be run in
parallel threads; synchronization shouldn't be an issue, but I'm not
even half sure how to keep the working set size manageable just yet.

And then I'll have to see if I can interface to R for the actual
analysis, rather than doing that myself as well.

Aside from that I'll be presenting at the upcoming TROOPERS conference
in Heidelberg (https://www.troopers.de/) on March 16th--20th on the
entire randomness topic.

Cheers, and have a nice week,

    Benedikt