[Cryptech Tech] STM32F4 <-> Novena Bridge

Jacob jacob at edamaker.com
Sat Jun 6 14:06:44 UTC 2015

On 6/6/2015 4:13 PM, Fredrik Thulin wrote:
> On Friday, June 05, 2015 11:08:48 PM Jacob wrote:
>> On 6/5/2015 10:40 PM, Павел Шатов wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> Fredrik, this is mostly for you. My suggestions regarding connection of
>>> STM32F4 to Novena are listed in the attached PDF file.
>>>
>>> --
>>> With best regards,
>>> Pavel Shatov
>>
>> Apologies if I've missed some important development, but what is the
>> purpose of creating that bridge PCB? no memory/fpga chips on board?
>> I guess there has been some private communication on this?
>
> You haven't missed anything - apologies for not having said anything on list
> that you could have missed ;).
>
> In Stockholm, we decided we wanted to do the STM32<->FPGA (FMC) interface
> design and implementation in parallel with waiting for the design and layout
> of the Alpha board.
>
> To be clear, we intend to make a small internal dev-board that will connect
> the FPGA on the Novena to an STM32 M4 on the dev-board, just for development
> of the FMC interface and maybe some early speed testing communication with
> already finished cores.
>
>> P.S. trying to get myself re-oriented, I see that the alpha board
>> strategy wiki needs urgent updating...
>
> Thanks for the reminder, I'll see to that shortly.
>
> /Fredrik

Thanks for the explanation. Very good idea to test the I/F before
committing to the full alpha.

Two comments:

1. I suggest to put a serial flash and a SDRAM memory chip on the test
board: external serial flash for flexible bootloading, and a SDRAM to
verify FMC logic and overall test board health while isolating the
Novena FPGA (the latter adds quite a bit of signal propagation unknowns,
especially being off board, and you want to test and verify the
operation incrementally).

2. Pavel PCB sketch shows the 2 power planes , 5V and 3.3V, separated
and connected only via the LDO. Since the proposal is for a 4-layer
board with internal layer planes (one GND and one mixed Power), the
memory/CTRL/CLK traces from the MCU to the Novena connector will see a
good reference plane (GND) from one external layer, and a split plane
from the other external layer. This is not good from Signal Integrity
and return currents POV. The PCB number of layers and plane separation
need to be considered after you finish the schematic so one can decide
what would be the best layout approach.

Jacob