[Cryptech Tech] novena_eim doesn't fit in XC6SLX45 anymore?

Paul Selkirk paul at psgd.org
Thu Jul 16 14:14:25 UTC 2015

On 07/15/2015 06:03 PM, Jean-Philippe Ouellet wrote:
> I'm building from commit fc6e411 (July 9th) of user/sra/novena-releng, using the Makefile in core/platform/novena/eim/build, and get the following error:
>
> ERROR:Place:375 - The design does not fit in device.

It's true, the full set of cores doesn't fit in the LX45, and hasn't for
a while.

For our current RSA testing, we remove the user-visible sha1, sha512,
and chacha cores. (trng_mixer uses sha512, and trng_csprng uses chacha
under the covers, without the register interface, so the RSA build
removes unused duplicate instantiations of these cores.)

For the debian package builds, we have a patch file to disable those
cores, in user/sra/novena-releng/core/patches/01-config-cores.patch. But
you might as well just use the Makefile in user/sra/novena-releng/core,
which takes care of that for you. (Rob might prefer that the patched
files be committed, but the whole core configuration scheme is likely to
change in the near future.)

Finally, I'm looking at tweaking the build options for command-line
builds, because it sometimes fails to converge even with those cores
disabled.

Ultimately, we're targeting a larger FPGA for the alpha board, and then
all our problems will be over. ;)

				paul