[Cryptech Tech] arm

Bernd Paysan bernd at net2o.de
Mon Jan 12 22:41:26 UTC 2015

Am Montag, 12. Januar 2015, 23:22:34 schrieb Jeroen Massar:
> On 2015-01-12 21:00, Rob Austein wrote:
> [..]
>
> > I halfway seriously proposed RS-232 for (2), but apparently the cool
> > kids won't accept that anymore.
>
> [..]
>
> > More serious question, though: what's the least bad hardware interface
> > we can use across the security perimeter?  Eg, would doing our own
> > UDP-like encapsulation over raw ethernet frames be better than USB?
>
> TLDR:
> #1 serial is simple (great for the small device)
> #2 USB with a USB<->serial dongle
> #3 Ethernet, but then only do Ethernet, not IP
> - need power for the device (usb-power or external brick or PSU?)

If you take the relatively inexpensive Stellaris Launchpads, you have

#1 a UART with an USB<->serial chip
#2 Ethernet
#3 USB-OTG (so you can implement USB client directly)
#4 SPI
#5 I²C
#6 bit-banging stuff, e.g. LEDcomm (using two red LEDs to communicate without
electric contact).

The LEDcomm stuff might be interesting if you have a tamper-boundary in a
sealed pressure chamber, and you want power e.g. through Qi (receiver module
inside the chamber, charger outside), to avoid drilling holes into the
pressure chamber.

--
Bernd Paysan
http://bernd-paysan.de/