[Cryptech Tech] arm

Rob Austein sra at hactrn.net
Sat Jan 10 12:54:08 UTC 2015

Add to wish list: it would be nice if whatever we end up with is
sufficiently boring that we can get off-the-shelf support for remote
debugging, whether via JTAG, SWD, CMSIS-DAP, ....  From the software
point of view, what I really care about here is that we can just grab
something that supports the gdbserver protocol and have it work out of
the box, so something supported by OpenOCD, pyOCD, or their ilk would
probably be fine.  Embedded debugger drivers aren't among our intended
products, so I'd rather just use something off the shelf if we can.

But of course, as with everything else in this space, we have to be
careful that our debugging solution doesn't drag in anything more
complex and harder to audit than we really need.

Caveat: I haven't used the gdb/gdbserver/JTAG combination for fifteen
years, so don't take me as an authority on current details.   Even
then, it was somebody else supplying both the adapter hardware
(a bread boarded thing that connected to a JTAG header on one side and
a PC parallel port on the other) and the gdbserver implementation.