[Cryptech Tech] PCB prototyping machine [Was: BCP prototyping machine]

Павел Шатов meisterpaul1 at yandex.ru
Fri Feb 27 08:05:42 UTC 2015

On 26.02.2015 0:41, Joachim Strömbergson wrote:

> Aloha!
>
> Павел Шатов wrote:
>> Current EIM arbiter implementation takes on average 12 BCLK cycles
>> to transfer 32 bits of data over EIM. BCLK is now 33 MHz, so the raw
>> bandwidth is about 10 megabytes per second right now. This can be
>> increased if necessary by changing BCLK to 66 or 133 MHz and
>> switching to separate address/data mode from multiplexed address/data
>> mode.
>
> We seem to be thinking in the same direction. ;-) Lets crank the EIM
> interface up a bit for the alpha board without adding too much
> complexity on the board design. Would you say that 32-bit data @ 66 MHz
> is a reasonable target?

Yes, this will simplify EIM arbiter a bit too. 66 MHz I/O is by all
means possible in Spartan-6.

Speaking of Alpha Board. Joachim, what do you think about my idea to use
CPU+RAM module from http://www.imx6rex.com/ ? If we use it, it will save
us a great amount of time, because we will only have to develop a rather
simple baseboard containing only power supply, an FPGA of our choice and
mating connectors to accept this module.

The only problem is that EIM interface is not exposed on this module. It
is not very difficult to modify it by removing unnecessary wires from it
(HDMI, audio, UART, etc) and connection EIM pins instead. Maybe we can
even ask authors of this module to make a customized version for us. For
a fee maybe? They have rather user-friendly open source license.