[Cryptech Tech] Alpha board strategy

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sat Feb 21 02:30:51 UTC 2015

Warren Kumari <warren at kumari.net> writes:

>So, how far can a floating license float?

Right until it bumps into the yacht of the first Altera lawyer.  Some years
ago, before there were lots of online PDF generators, someone took Adobe's PDF
distiller and turned it into a web service.  The use was fully compliant with
the letter of the Adobe license, but once their lawyers found out what he was
doing the C&D turned up so quickly it had red shift.

>This may be a bad idea, the VPN idea might not work, their license terms
>(which I couldn't find) may disallow this, etc but I figured worth mentioning
>it.

Why not ask them for a special-case license?  It's an open/free/educational
project, they may grant a license just for this project.

(They also may not, but it doesn't hurt to ask).

Peter.