[Cryptech Tech] status alpha board designers

Fredrik Thulin fredrik at thulin.net
Sun Apr 26 07:04:35 UTC 2015

On Sunday, April 26, 2015 01:04:22 AM Jacob wrote:
> > Module Licence
> > --------------
> > It is completely free for personal use. If you like this module and you
> > are interested to use it for commercial use, please contact us. There is
> > a pretty high chance, that we will agree on a free license for your
> > commercial project or a small fee $7 may apply.
> >
> > First of all, we are not developing a commercial product. We are not
> > going to manufacture and then sell hardware. We will certainly contact
> > those guys, if we eventually decide to reuse their module, and ask for
> > permission. Right now we just need to understand, whether this module
> > can get us closer to Alpha or not.
>
> I understand that Cryptech is not in the business of HW manufacturing,
> but a third party vendor would - and I was concerned about the end-user
> procurement viability. Since it appears that the license cost per device
> would be $7 max, it is probably a non-issue then.

On a number of occasions we've held the position that we can't use GPL
licensed software components, as we believe it would hinder adoption of our
work.

I see any kind of license where someone would have to pay a fee (no matter how
small) as seriously limiting the outcome of our work in the same way as the
GPL license might.

Therefor, I believe we must resolve any licensing issues with the iMX6 rex
guys before basing our work on theirs.