[Cryptech Tech] status alpha board designers

Павел Шатов meisterpaul1 at yandex.ru
Sat Apr 25 19:42:54 UTC 2015

On 25.04.2015 20:08, Jacob wrote:

>> Jacob, we understand, that Alpha board is going to be complex, that's
>> why we want to reuse as much as possible. One of ways forward we are
>> considering, is using this CPU+RAM module: http://www.imx6rex.com/
>> Could you please have a look at it? The only problem with this module,
>> is that it has lots of unnecessary interfaces (audio, video, ethernet,
>> etc) and doesn't have EIM. I think, that it will be easy to adapt this
>> module to our needs by removing unneeded signal traces and then routing
>> EIM signals instead.
>
> I glanced at the REX board and looked at its schematic. On page 17 of
> the schematic PDF ("License") they say:
> -----------------------------------
> You are free:
> to copy, distribute, display, and perform the work
>
> Under the following conditions:
> Attribution - You must give the original author credit.
> Non-Commercial - You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
> No Derivative Works - You may not alter, transform, or build upon this
> work.
>
> The last 2 conditions are problematic unless you guys have a specific
> arrangement with the copyright holders. Is that the case?

There's another piece of text at the bottom of the main page:

Module Licence
--------------
It is completely free for personal use. If you like this module and you
are interested to use it for commercial use, please contact us. There is
a pretty high chance, that we will agree on a free license for your
commercial project or a small fee $7 may apply.

First of all, we are not developing a commercial product. We are not
going to manufacture and then sell hardware. We will certainly contact
those guys, if we eventually decide to reuse their module, and ask for
permission. Right now we just need to understand, whether this module
can get us closer to Alpha or not.

--
With best regards,
Pavel Shatov