[Cryptech Tech] reverse engineered bitstream for a FPGA

Павел Шатов meisterpaul1 at yandex.ru
Mon Apr 13 23:20:18 UTC 2015

On 13.04.2015 18:48, Joachim Strömbergson wrote:

> Aloha!
>
> This appeared last night.
>
> Someone has succeeded in reverse engineering the bitstream generated by
> the Lattice iCEcube2 FPGA tool. The device the configuration that has
> been reverse engineered for is a fairly small FPGA, the iCE40
> HX1K-TQ144. But they are now aiming to start build open RTL to bitstream
> tools:

Is this good news or bad news? :)

Non-encrypted bitstreams only provide security through obscurity. Xilinx
bitstream format was reverse-engineered long time ago
(http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.117.6043&rep=rep1&type=pdf)
I think Lattice got hacked only recently, because it is not that popular
and no one was actually interested in it.

--
With best regards,
Pavel Shatov