[Cryptech Tech] Noise board on Novena

Fredrik Thulin fredrik at thulin.net
Tue Sep 23 06:54:16 UTC 2014

On Tuesday, September 23, 2014 06:04:58 AM Benedikt Stockebrand wrote:
> Hi Joachim and list,
>
> Joachim Strömbergson <joachim at secworks.se> writes:
> > [Why SPI is a pain]
> >
> > That (and a few other details) is what i mean with "don't like". ;-)
> >
> > I'm spending a lot of time in another project with SPI. The positive
> > thing with SPI is that it is commonly supported by many devices.
>
> that's the point: I just wanted to make sure this didn't look like an
> unjustified personal dislike, but like a justified one:-)

I agree - SPI has it's downsides. I'll be easily swayed in the matter if you
can argue why some other alternative is better.

As I see it, the alternatives on this levels for the speeds we are talking
about are SPI, I2C, UART, and bit-banging.

The appealing thing about SPI, I2C and UART in my mind is that they are well
supported (often in hardware) among MCUs, and other people could take a
entropy module speaking one of those, connect it to a Raspberry Pi (for
example) and start interacting with it in about 10 lines of Python code.

This makes it easier for others to test, develop and audit entropy sources for
Cryptech HSMs. The entropy sources would also be easier to reuse in other
applications.

Bit-banging, although preferably with less than 32 parallel data lines, would
probably be easier if we didn't have to care about other people, but I think
we should care.

Let me hear your arguments for something else than SPI =)