[Cryptech Tech] Generation of a comprehensive test suite for Cryptech

Dimitry Polivaev dpolivaev at gmx.de
Wed May 21 20:49:23 UTC 2014

Hi,

my name is Dimitry Polivaev. I am test engineer and test architect specializing on system level
tests of smart card software. Recently I have learned about your project from heise online article
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Open-Source-Kryptochip-soll-Vertrauen-schaffen-2191514.html .

I have developed a technique for automatic generation of test cases from easy to write and to read
test case specifications. It is based on a DSL for describing a test specification of the whole test
suite which can be executed by the test generator. The test specification describes a test suite as
a variance of inter-depending test steps and their parameters. Given this specification test cases
can be generated for arbitrary programming languages and for any test targets. This technique
establishes clear and effective architecture of the test code. It allows to completely eliminate
redundancy and code duplication from all testing code written by people. It also allows to cheaply
create as many test cases as needed and easily adapt them in case of changed requirements.

The original concepts were developed and applied at the company I am working for. 2012 I
presented them at workshop for model-based testing http://mbt-workshop.org/2012/index.html. At this
time the test specifications were developed as Freeplane mind maps later processed by a test generator.

2013 in my spare time I started an open source project and implemented a new tool chain where the
test specification can be developed using the DSL mentioned above. The latest state is available at
github at https://github.com/dpolivaev/test-generation. I am confident that it gives test developers
working in any areas a way to increase testing intensity and simultaneously reduce testing efforts.
Therefore I want to share my results with the other people.

So I would like to invite you to evaluate how this technique can be used in your project. I
would appreciate your interest and support you as much as you need. I participate in other open
source projects and currently lead the project working on mind map editor Freeplane
(http://freeplane.org), so I have some experience with collaborative non-commercial software
development.

Kind regards,
Dimitry Polivaev