[Cryptech Tech] Hardware entropy

Bernd Paysan bernd at net2o.de
Fri May 16 15:25:09 UTC 2014

Am Freitag, 16. Mai 2014, 17:20:22 schrieb Fredrik Thulin:
> On Friday, May 16, 2014 04:47:23 PM Bernd Paysan wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > Hi Peter Stuge (frequent LinuxTag booth neighbor),
> >
> > Thanks to Heise, I got informed that you are working on a open+secure
> > cryptochip.  Has anybody started with the entropy source yet?  I've
> > several
> > ideas how to create entropy on an FPGA, and I'd like to try them out...
>
> Hi
>
> We're more or less just about to start the work on the first implementation
> of an entropy source. What we're planning to do for the first
> implementation is a noisy diode source, external to the FPGA.

There are a lot of noisy internal sources, if you know where to find them
(this usually means misconfiguring the LUTs, because "sane" designs avoid that
;-).  Of course, you can always have an external noise source+DAC, and once
you have collected enough entropy, run a PRNG.

> I don't know very much about FPGAs so I can't really say anything about your
> idea, but I'm sure Joachim will chime in.

Ok.

--
Bernd Paysan
http://bernd-paysan.de/