[Cryptech Tech] How to start using coretest_hashes on the TerasIC C5G Board

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Mon Mar 24 09:18:07 UTC 2014

Randy Bush wrote:
>>> VCP or D2XX?  i guessed d2xx, installed, and restarted win7
>> I have no idea. Please tell me if it works and I'll update the
>> docs. I use OSX to talk to to the FTDI chip. The C5G manual
>> suggests VCP (see page 77).
>
> how do you use osx to program the chip?  i am stuck in the windows vm
> to do that?
>
> i think you mean talking to the serial once programmed.  makes
> sense.

Yes. I've updated the intro text to try and further clarify this.

>>> i think you mean
>>> test_coretest_hashes/cores/coretest_hashes/toolruns/quartus/terasic_c5g

If you want the full path. I felt it wasn't necessary to state that
>> over and over. Does it seem comdfuing not to do that?
>
> as there are multiple instances of toolruns, it helps in those
> circumstances

Good point. I'll update all paths to make this clearer.

>> There is a page at Altera that describes setup of USB-blaster in
>> Windows:
>> http://www.altera.com/download/drivers/usb-blaster/dri-usb-blaster-vista.html
>
>>  1. Plug the USB-Blaster download cable into PC. The Found New
>> Hardware dialog box will appear
>
> no dialog appears

Ok. I'll note that this might not happen. But in the HW-setup dialog of
the USB-blaster/Programmer the relevant device must appear in order to
be used.

> but that page was the big clue!  i haz driver.  and programming was
> successful.

Great! Almost there!

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se