[Cryptech Tech] How to start using coretest_hashes on the TerasIC C5G Board

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Sun Mar 23 22:25:16 UTC 2014

Randy Bush wrote:
>> The USB-serial chip on the board is a FTDI FT232R [3]. If your host
>> OS does not have support for this device you will need to install
>> drivers.
>
> VCP or D2XX?  i guessed d2xx, installed, and restarted win7

I have no idea. Please tell me if it works and I'll update the docs. I
use OSX to talk to to the FTDI chip. The C5G manual suggests VCP (see
page 77).

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Added link to that page.

>> Select coretest and press 'Open'. (Note: Quartus omits the .v
>> suffix for the file.)
>
> it shows the .v on win7.

Ok. I've updated on trac to reflect that.

>> The result from this generic build should be a FPGA configuration
>> that uses 3666 registers, 2846 ALMs, 12 pins and can run at 88.3
>> MHz in worst case temperature and timing
>
> Info (293000): Quartus II Full Compilation was successful. 0 errors,
> 13 warnings

Seems about right.

>> Navigate to coretest_hashes/toolruns/quartus/terasic_c5g
>
> i think you mean
> test_coretest_hashes/cores/coretest_hashes/toolruns/quartus/terasic_c5g

If

you want the full path. I felt it wasn't necessary to state that over
and over. Does it seem comdfuing not to do that?

>> An easier way is to open up the file coretest_hashes.qsf in
>> toolruns and add the pin assignment above.
>
> the pin assignments were already in the file

What I meant is adding the pin assignment from _that_ file to you
specification.

> ok, the power connector is pretty obvious.  but maybe you should
> give more of a hint about "connect the board to the computer."

There should be one such description in the writeup now since the top of
the writeup describes the board and the USB-ports.

> i connected a usb cable to the usb blaster port of the board.  i
> said connect it to windows.
>
>> In the Window you should see 'USB-blaster'. If not you need to fix
>> the drivers for the USB-blaster in your OS.
>
> and i do not see it.  the blinking lights on the board are beautiful
> but i am stalled here

Have you checked in System/drivers (whatever it is exactly called in
windows between versions. The list of all drivers installed and
peripherals attached. There _should_ be an entry for the USB-blaster
there if the board is connected to the computer and the board is turned on.

There is a page at Altera that describes setup of USB-blaster in Windows:

http://www.altera.com/download/drivers/usb-blaster/dri-usb-blaster-vista.html

I've added it to the reference list.

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se