[Cryptech Tech] Naming conventions for repos?

Rob Austein sra at hactrn.net
Mon Feb 17 22:58:37 UTC 2014

At Mon, 17 Feb 2014 22:43:37 +0000, Linus Nordberg wrote:

> I'd prefer core/xyz.git, sw/xyz.git, system/abc.git, tools/foo.git,
> docs/foo.git. Rob, can this be done using our tools, do you know?

Gitolite appears to understand this, yes: doing

  $ git clone git at host:foo/bar.git

creates and clones a repository.

Note, however, that this scheme means your local copy will be named
"bar", unless you take the trouble to build your own foo/ directory
and cd to it before cloning.

An alternative scheme would be to replace the "/" with ".", so that
you still have the visual hierarchy but the full repository name
travels along with the clone (ie, "git clone git at host:foo.bar.git"
leaves you with a local foo.bar repository).  Just a suggestion.

I have no strong feelings about the repository layout, although no
doubt I could acquire some if the bikeshed isn't colorful enough yet.