[Cryptech Tech] Naming conventions for repos?

Linus Nordberg linus at nordberg.se
Mon Feb 17 22:43:37 UTC 2014

Joachim Strömbergson <joachim at secworks.se> wrote
Mon, 17 Feb 2014 10:01:34 +0100:

| Does anybody have any good suggestions on how to name repos? I'm
| thinking we should have something like:
|
| core_xyz - Hardware core for feature xyz. Shared HW functionality would
| be a core too.
|
| sw_xyz - SW implementation of feature xyz. Should libs be sw_something too?
|
| system_abc - top level or sub system abc that uses one or more core
| and/or sw components.
|
| tools_foo - Some tool foo developed as part of the project.
|
| docs_deadbeef - Documentation named deadbeef-something (user guide,
| security target) etc for Cryptech. For sw, core and sub(system) related
| documentation I suggest they are placed within the specific repo. For
| example the design specification for core_sha256 would be in doc/ in
| that repo.

I'd prefer core/xyz.git, sw/xyz.git, system/abc.git, tools/foo.git,
docs/foo.git. Rob, can this be done using our tools, do you know?

I'm also proposing that we all have personal repos under users/$name/
from which the maintainer(s) of the official repos (top level) merge
changes going into releases. These are created by those who need them,
when they're needed.

I suggest this because this is how Tor does it and that it's been proven
to work pretty well for a project with numerous subprojects with
different maintainers. See https://gitweb.torproject.org/ and
https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/blob/HEAD:/doc/HACKING .