[Cryptech Tech] ASIC implementation page on wiki

Bernd Paysan bernd at net2o.de
Sun Aug 17 21:11:38 UTC 2014

Am Samstag, 16. August 2014, 18:35:46 schrieb Benedikt Stockebrand:
> Hi Bernd and list,
>
> Bernd Paysan <bernd at net2o.de> writes:
> > Am Freitag, 15. August 2014, 20:55:27 schrieb Benedikt Stockebrand:
> >> The problem I see with that is that if we run into problems with some
> >> "improved", "low noise" diodes being slipstreamed into production, then
> >> we have one hell of a rollback to do.  With generic external 5 cent
> >> diodes (or BE junctions), the worst thing that can happen is that we
> >> wind up with a few reels of useless components that however can be
> >> replaced with a reasonably wide range of alternatives.
> >
> > Nah, when you do an ASIC, you defined what kind of diode it is, not some
> > vendor.  The process doesn't change, it is under your control.  [...]
>
> yes, with ASICs you are right, of course.  But I was thinking about
> FPGAs here, and that's where we unfortunately don't have this sort of
> control.

But in an FPGA, you don't have the required direct access to this sort of
device (rewired to feed the current into a bipolar transistor for amplifying
the current) either.  This sort of thoughts only and exclusively apply for
ASIC design (full custom ASICs, to be precise, but gate arrays have been
mostly replaced by "hardcopy" FPGAs, as Altera calls them).

--
Bernd Paysan
http://bernd-paysan.de/