[Cryptech Tech] ASIC implementation page on wiki

Benedikt Stockebrand bs at stepladder-it.com
Sat Aug 16 18:35:46 UTC 2014

Hi Bernd and list,

Bernd Paysan <bernd at net2o.de> writes:

> Am Freitag, 15. August 2014, 20:55:27 schrieb Benedikt Stockebrand:
>>
>> The problem I see with that is that if we run into problems with some
>> "improved", "low noise" diodes being slipstreamed into production, then
>> we have one hell of a rollback to do.  With generic external 5 cent
>> diodes (or BE junctions), the worst thing that can happen is that we
>> wind up with a few reels of useless components that however can be
>> replaced with a reasonably wide range of alternatives.
>
> Nah, when you do an ASIC, you defined what kind of diode it is, not some
> vendor.  The process doesn't change, it is under your control.  [...]

yes, with ASICs you are right, of course.  But I was thinking about
FPGAs here, and that's where we unfortunately don't have this sort of
control.

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--
Benedikt Stockebrand,                   Stepladder IT Training+Consulting
Dipl.-Inform.                           http://www.stepladder-it.com/

          Business Grade IPv6 --- Consulting, Training, Projects

BIVBlog---Benedikt's IT Video Blog: http://www.stepladder-it.com/bivblog/