[Cryptech Tech] ASIC implementation page on wiki

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Wed Aug 13 19:05:19 UTC 2014

hi bernd,

> * Ring oscillator: I'm pretty sure the adder-based ring oscillator
> will produce a working oscillator on an ASIC, with somewhat similar
> noise characteristics, as the carry chain in the FPGA is just a
> "hardcoded" carry chain, i.e. about the same thing you would do in
> an ASIC.

we were warned of placement issues creating sympathetic synching
beween multipls ring oscillators.  but it can be overcome by arguing
with the auto-layout.  as agreed, keeping noise sources as much
on-chip as reasonably possible makes life simpler.  so we just keep
eyes on layout.  i have not heard that there is a layout issue for
diode noise sources.  other warnings?

randy