[Cryptech Tech] Roadmap & remarks about the opportunity of developing a secure TOR router on the Novena platform.

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Wed Aug 6 11:52:11 UTC 2014

★ STMAN ★ wrote:
> Thank you very much for your contribution Bernd, I fully agree with
> all what you said. C language is a problem, but it is also a
> standard. Correcting efficiently C language « weaknesses » like
> intensive stack usage cannot be achieved securely through software
> technics : StackShield and StackGuard technics have partly failed,
> and they don’t block ROP exploitation.
>
> Let’s say that for the first version of the secure processor, the
> main goals were to « cancel » by design, from the hardware :
>
> - Stack Overflow security breach. - Buffer Overflow security breach.
>  - ROP exploitation technics.
>
> It has been more than one year study to find the tricks to do it
> definitly.
>
> The planned next step, in the future, are to block the « Interger
> Overflow » familly security breach, and reaching the goals you are
> talking about.

Are you doing this by defining a CPU from scratch with your own ISA, or
are you basing the work on an existing core?

If I were to do this I would select a CPU core that have GCC etc ported
to it (OpenRISC, LEON etc) and then implement them one by one, modifying
the HW design, adding functionality to the core and updating the SW
system one by one. This way you can test and integrate the new
functionality in the application SW one by one.

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se